Cal Marquès

Considered one of the best residential civic architecture examples of Camprodon’s modern era, Cal Marquès is a large building erected in 1620 by Pere Ribes, the owner of a forge in Setcases.

This building, initially called Casa Ribes, was linked to the Carmen church by a gallery used by the house’s inhabitants to go to hear Mass. After leaving the building to his grandson, who was awarded the title of Marquès del Farràs by King Philip V in 1702, Casa Ribes was renamed Cal Marquès.

At the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century, the Casa Marquès was rehabilitated, residential flats were built in the upper part and in its low commercial premises and on the west side of the building there is a cultural space where temporary exhibitions are planned, talks are held and there is a permanent exhibition on La Retirada.